Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Miranda Caverley Of JMC Ministries Article About Fallen Soldier Featured In Chillicothe Gazette

April 13, 2011
Chillicothe Gazette
Editor, the Gazette:
On Saturday, Staff Sgt. Joshua Gire -- who died on March 23 in Afghanistan -- was brought home one last time.
As the procession came through Chillicothe, my husband Jeremy and I stood along Western Avenue just outside our home and paid our respects. From the moment, I heard and saw the first police car sounding its sirens, tears began to flow down my face, and as the police cars and motorcyclists passed with American flags streaming behind them, you just knew this city permanently was scarred by the effects of the "war on terror" that has been raging for 10 years now.
Near the end of the procession, you could see the hearse carrying the body of Staff Sgt. Gire coming. My husband, as a veteran of the U.S Coast Guard, stood in salute, and I watched as the hearse slowly drove past. You could see the American Flag draped over the casket, then the limousine that carried Staff Sgt. Gire's family toward the funeral home.
How do you find the words to express the sorrow and pain a family must feel in the face of losing a son, father and husband? It can be described only in the tears that are shed for those who pay the ultimate price for freedom's call.
On Friday, his body will be taken to Arlington Cemetery to be buried, where another marker will be placed along with the thousands of others to remind us freedom isn't free.
May we never forget our freedoms are persevered through the sacrifices of others like Josh Gire. For without their bravery, we would not be able to call our country "the home of the free."
Miranda Caverley
Chillicothe


Read More From The Chillicothe Gazette 

I was actually very shocked to see my article in print.  I wrote this article to share on our Eternal Flame News Editorial Blog that Jeremy and I run. But after reading it to my Grandparents, my Grandpa told me that he thought that it was good enough to submit to the local Chillicothe Gazette newspaper.  

With a hope and a prayer on my lips I submitted the article on Saturday April 8, 2011.  Then today April 13, 2011 my Grandparents were visiting me and asked if I'd checked to see if they had maybe published my article.  We looked at the Chillicothe Gazette online and there it was!  

"I'm in print!" was what was going through my head and it was a dream come true!  When I was in high school all my English Teachers told me I should go to college to study journalism. Now over 10 years later, I'm beginning to think that maybe, they were right. 


Not only have I now been in print in our local paper, but I have also been invited to write news blogs for Active Christian Media.  Jeremy and I will keep you posted when I start writing for Active Christian Media.

It is amazing what you can accomplish when you allow God to lead you and get your own fears and doubts out of the way. The impossible becomes possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment